SECTION 13-E 1952 BUICK INTERIOR TRIM AND SEATS
13-19 1952 BUICK DOOR TRIM PAD REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Removal of 1952 Buick Door Trim Pad
- Remove all door inside handle by pushing inward on the escutcheon and removing the handle retaining spring, using Door Handle Pliers KMO 601. A slight rotating motion of the pliers will easily remove the retaining spring. See figure 13-44.
- Remove 1952 Buick arm rest and screws at lower corners of trim pad. If arm rest is built integral with the door trim pad, remove the trim cup which is retained by a single screw and then remove the two retaining screws located below the trim cup.
- Remove window garnish molding and belt finishing molding, if present (par. 13-18).
- Remove window lift control switch if present, by carefully prying out with a thin screw driver under the edges. Disconnect wires and tape the terminal ends.
- Pry front and rear edges of trim pad loose from door inner panel, using a suitable flat tool, then lift pad to disengage it from hooks at center of door and the retainer at bottom edge.
NOTE: Trim pad can be pried loose more easily and with less danger of breaking off nails if pad is first lightly tapped along both edges with a mallet to relieve the binding effect of the nails.
Sealing 1952 Buick Door Inner Panel
Before installing a 1952 Buick door trim pad either seal, or check for proper sealing, of the points on door inner panel listed below. This is necessary to prevent entrance of water which may work down between the inner and outer panels of door.
Apply waterproof tape or cement enameled drill at the following locations shown in figure 13-45.
(1) (2) (5) Small openings in inner panel.
(4) Over door trim pad nail holes. Original sealing tape punctured by nails should be replaced with new tape.
(6) Around ventilator regulator spindle.
(7) Over ledge of inner panel below ventilator assembly.
(8) Around window regulator spindle.
(9) Over edges of inspection hole covers.
(11) Over window regulator attaching screws.
(12) Over arm rest screw holes.
(13) Over end of division channel stud.
(14) Over area where window stop bracket is welded to cover plate.
Apply 3-M Autobody Sealer at the following locations shown in figure 13-45.
(3) Over heads of check link attaching screws.
(10) Over heads of door lock remote control screws.
(15) Over heads of window regulator cam screws.
(16) Over head of door lock screw.
Installation of 1952 Buick Door Trim Pad
- Install 1952 Buick trim pad and related parts by reversing procedure for removal, observing the following points:
- Nails that are loose or damaged so they will not hold properly should be removed from trim pad. Attach trim pad nailing tabs, Group 10.357, Part No. 4081772, to metal nailing strip where nails are missing.
- When trim pad is being placed on door, bow it slightly so that the hooks on door inner panel can be engaged in slots in trim pad foundation.
- Be sure to hook the metal retainer on lower edge of trim over the retainer on door inner panel. See figure 13-46.
- Before door inside handles are installed, place retaining spring in slots, using new springs if old springs are weak or distorted. Locate each handle on shaft at the same angle as the corresponding handle on opposite door, with windows and ventilators closed, and tap handle with rubber mallet to engage retaining spring in groove in shaft.
13-20 1952 BUICK HEADLINING REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
NOTE: Clean hands and tools are essential when working on the 1952 Buick headlining.
Removal of 1952 Buick Headlining
- Remove radio antenna control knob and escutcheon plate, also both sunshade assemblies.
- Remove dome lamp assembly. Where installed over the headlining also remove dome lamp switch.
- Remove windshield, rear quarter, and back window garnish moldings.
- Remove rear seat cushion and seat back (par. 13-21) and the seat back trim valance when installed.
- Remove back compartment top trim panel by loosening cemented front flap, unbending tabs under flap, then freeing remainder of panel from cement.
- Remove tacks from headlining at windshield, rear quarter, and back window openings, also at rear compartment shelf. Use care to avoid damaging headlining where it is cemented in place. NOTE: When removing tacks use a thin blade screw driver or similar tool placed under the headlining. If placed under tack head, the headlining may be damaged.
- Carefully release headlining from the headlining retainer tabs at the upper corners of the windshield opening. Also release headlining from the retaining tabs at rear quarter section.
- Starting at the front corners, disengage the headlining from its retainers along both side roof rails. By loosening retainer screws along both side roof rails progressively as headlining is loosened, it is easier to disengage the headlining from the retainer. See figure 13-47.
- Remove screw and silencer holding end of each headlining support wire to right roof rail, then starting at the front disconnect headlining support wires from left roof rail. Left end of each support wire has an offset over which a rubber thimble is placed where it enters hole in roof rail. At the roof bow bend down the metal clips to release headlining listing wire then proceed to rear in removal of 1952 Buick headlining.
Installation of 1952 Buick Headlining
The 1952 Buick headlining support wires vary in length according to width of body where each is used. If these are removed from listings for any reason be sure that each is re-installed in the listing from which it was taken, or is installed in the corresponding listing if a new headlining is being installed.
- Hang 1952 Buick headlining at the single roof bow and bend up metal clips to retain the listing wire. If a clip is broken off it can be attached with a metal tapping screw. Make sure that headlining is properly centered and that dome lamp opening is lined up evenly in relation to dome lamp support.
- Attach left ends of support wires (with rubber thimbles) to left roof rail and attach right ends of support wires to right roof rail with silencers and screws.
- Tack or staple headlining around back window and at rear seat back compartment shelf. On the 4-door style, secure headlining material to retainer tabs at wheelhouse area.
- Stretch 1952 Buick headlining to the front and tack or staple at windshield opening. All fullness must be removed from front to rear before installing the sides of headlining.
- Engage 1952 Buick headlining to retainer tabs at upper corner of windshield.
- Tighten retainers to roof side rails then carefully tuck the edges of headlining up between the retainers and the windhose, using Headlining Inserter J 2772. See figures 13-47 and 13-48.
- Tack or staple headlining above rear quarter windows on the 2-door style.
- Reinstall all the remaining parts by reversing procedure for removal.
- Use a soft brush to remove any lint from headlining and brush headlining in even strokes from rear to front. If air hose is used there is danger of matting and streaking the nap of headlining. Refer to paragraph 13-2 (d) if headlining requires further cleaning.
13-21 1952 BUICK SEAT AND SEAT BACK SERVICE OPERATIONS
1952 Buick Front Seat Side Panel Removal and Installation
- On left side remove the seat adjuster knob. Some knobs are locked in place with an Allen set screw on under side; loosen the set screw with a 3/32″ hex wrench.
If set screw is not present, the knob is retained by a built-in spring clip. This type knob is removed by using a hook to depress the spring. The hook may be made locally from a screwdriver or a piece of 1/4″ round steel as shown in figure 13-49. Hook must be very smooth to avoid marring the chrome escutcheon.
- Remove all panel retaining screws and finish washers. On Series 40 with split type seat back, tilt seat back forward to remove the screw at rear end of panel.
- Lift the panel up to release it from retaining tab on seat frame. On left panel having a seat hydraulic regulator switch, disconnect wires from switch and tape the terminal ends.
- Install side panel by reversing this procedure. On Series 40 with solid seat back, the rear end of side panel must fit under the lower edge of seat back panel. The spring type seat adjuster knob is installed by pushing it into place until locked by the spring.
1952 Buick Front Seat Back Panel Removal and Installation-Series 40
- On split type back only, remove seat back assembly (subpar. d, below).
- Remove screws attaching lower edge of panel to frame. On split type, remove single screw attaching panel to outer leg of frame. On solid type, remove retaining screws at each outer lower corner of panel.
- Remove panel from seat back frame by pulling down to disengage tabs along upper edge.
- Install panel by reversing this procedure. Make sure that all tabs are engaged along upper edge of panel.
1952 Buick Front Seat Back Panel Removal and Installation-Series 50-70
- Remove outer screw from each robe cord escutcheon and remove cord. Remove inner screw and remove escutcheon. The escutcheon screws attach the back trim panel to seat back frame.
- On solid type back, remove trim panel retaining screw at each lower corner. On split type back, remove retaining screws along lower edge of trim panel. Lift back trim panel out of position.
- Install panels by reversing removal procedure.
1952 Buick Front Seat Back Removal and Installation-Split Type
- Remove 1952 Buick seat side trim panel (subpar. a, above).
- At the bottom center of the curved center hinge arms, remove the cotter pin and disengage the hinge pin anchoring both left and right seat backs to the center of the cushion frame.
- At the bottom of the outer curved hinge arms of the seat back, remove the spring retaining clip from end of hinge pin. (Hinge pin is stationary at this point and cannot be removed.)
- To remove, lift up seat back at center and move it sidewise to disengage outer hinge arm from the stationary hinge pin.
- To install, reverse this procedure.
1952 Buick Front Seat Back Removal and Installation-Solid Type
- Remove front 1952 Buick seat back panel (subpar. b or c, above). On Series 40 remove the single screw attaching rear upper edge of the sheet metal track cover to the frame.
- Remove four bolts retaining the legs of the seat back frame to seat cushion frame at each lower rear side.
- Lift seat back assembly upward so that legs of seat back disengage from channel sections on seat cushion frame.
- To install, reverse this procedure.
1952 Buick Front Seat Removal and Installation
- Move seat to full forward position.
- On Series 50-70 and Series 40 having hydraulic seat regulator, remove seat side panels (subpar. a, above).
- On seat having hydraulic seat regulator, remove the regulator cover plate which is attached to front edge of seat frame with screws. Remove nut and washer from stud which attaches hydraulic seat regulator to seat frame.
- On Series 40, turn back rear carpet, remove bolts attaching seat adjuster rear support to body floor pan, then pull seat assembly rearward to disengage the adjuster front supports from brackets attached to floor pan.
On Series 50-70, remove bolts attaching both the front and rear supports of adjuster to floor pan.
- Remove 1952 Buick seat assembly from body.
- Install 1952 Buick seat assembly by reversing this procedure.
1952 Buick Front Seat Adjuster Removal and Installation
- Remove 1952 Buick seat assembly (subpar. f, above) and place it upside down on a suitable support.
- Remove seat side panels, if not previously removed.
- Detach locking rod from clip on frame center bar.
- Remove seat adjuster middle attaching bolt, slide adjuster to rear and remove front attaching bolt, then slide adjuster forward and remove rear bolt.
- Remove the adjuster and disengage the locking rod.
- Install seat adjuster by reversing this procedure.
Stiffening Springs of Front Seat Cushion and Back
When it becomes necessary to increase the stiffness of springs in the front seat cushion and back for the benefit of owners of abnormal weight, this may be accomplished by using the Helical Tie Wire package listed under Group 11.419. This service package contains helical tie wires and sufficient steel clips for installation.
- Remove the front seat assembly from body (subpar. b, above).
- Referring to figure 13-50, position and clip tie wires “A” and “B” to the zig-zag spring units so that they attach to the same line of loops to which “end assembly helical tie wires” are clipped. Position and clip helical tie wire “C” to the zig-zag springs as shown.
- Check stiffness of cushion and if more stiffness is required clip additional tie wires to adjacent spring loops.
- If additional stiffness is desired in the seat back, remove the seat back panel and install one or more tie wires as required to provide the desired support. Clip the tie wire to the spring units with hog rings, then bend each end of wire around the loop of spring and anchor with a hog ring to prevent end movement of wire.
Removal and Installation of 1952 Buick Front Seat Cushion Trim
- Remove entire front seat assembly from body (subpar. b, above), remove seat back (subpar. c or d, above) and place seat cushion and frame assembly upside down on a clean bench.
- Referring to figure 13-51, remove hog rings holding bottom rear facing indicated at (1) to spring and frame. Remove loose wadding (2) from back of seat frame.
- Remove hog rings securing end facing to slots in seat frame at (3). Also remove hog rings holding end listing to spring at (4).
- Remove hog rings retaining front facing at (5) to slots at rear of front frame bar.
- Turn cushion over, turn back trim cover and remove cotton pad (6), cotton batts (7) and (8) and latexed hair pad (9).
- Remove hog rings securing top rear facing to spring at (10).
- Remove hog rings holding cotton pad to springs at (11). If necessary, the wire insulator may be removed by disengaging hog rings as indicated at (12).
- Before installation of seat cushion trim make sure all listing wires are installed in the pockets in the skirt of seat cushion.
- Install insulator if removed, securing it at front, rear, and at each corner with hog rings.
- Attach cotton pad to spring at (11) with eight hog rings along each front and rear edge and three along each end. See figure 13-51.
- Hog ring the top rear facing to spring with thirteen rings as shown at (10).
- Place latexed hair pad over foundation pad at (9) and tuck snugly at rear.
- Place a cotton batt over hair pad at each end (7) and along front (8). Batt is opened one third.
- Place cotton pad (6) over batts with tobacco cloth backing down against the latexed hair pad. Tuck snugly at rear.
- Turn cushion upside down and hog ring the front facing at (5) to slots at rear of front frame bar with fourteen hog rings.
- Secure each end facing to slots in cushion frame with six hog rings at (3). Also apply two hog rings at end of each facing.
- Hog ring the end listing at (4) to the spring with three rings.
- Apply wadding to back of cushion frame at (2) and proceed to secure the bottom rear facing to spring with eight hog rings and to frame with two hog rings at each end as shown at (1).
- Assemble front seat back assembly to seat cushion and install complete front seat assembly in body.
1952 Buick Rear Seat Back Removal and Installation
- Remove 1952 Buick rear seat cushion.
- On job having center arm rest, raise rear compartment lid, remove compartment front lining board, then bend down the metal tabs holding upper portion of seat back in place.
- On inside of body on all jobs, straighten out the metal retaining tabs on wheel house and along bottom of back.
- Pull back forward and upward to release it from retainers and remove it from body.
- Install seat back by reversing this procedure.