SECTION 2-B – 1959 BUICK CENTER PILLAR
The 1959 Buick center pillar trim material is cemented to the center pillar. The material is covered along the front and rear edges by pinchweld finishing moldings and over the top by a pinchweld finishing cap. Each molding is secured to the carpet support by one (1) screw while the finishing cap is secured to the top of the assembly by two (2) screws. Prior to installation, the underside of the finishing cap is sealed at the outboard portion of the cap.
2-14 1959 BUICK CENTER PILLAR SERVICING
1959 Buick Center Pillar Finishing Cap Removal and Installation
- Remove two (2) screws from top of cap and remove cap from center pillar.
- To install, first apply a bead of body caulking compound to underside of cap as shown in Figure 2-10; then position cap on center pillar and install two (2) attaching screws.
1959 Buick Center Pillar Front and Rear Pinchweld Finishing Molding Removal and Installation
- Remove center pillar finishing cap and front door sill plate.
- Turn back carpeting at base of pinchweld and remove screw securing end of finishing molding to carpet support. Then carefully remove molding from pinchweld flange.
- To install molding position molding to pinchweld flange and slide molding over flange.
- Install molding attaching screw at lower end of molding, replace carpet, install sill plate and center pillar finishing cap.
1959 Buick Center Pillar Trim Assembly – Removal and Installation
- Remove 1959 Buick center pillar finishing cap and front rear pinchweld finishing moldings. On 4829 and 4839 styles, remove cigar lighter assembly and escutcheon.
- Starting at sides of trim assembly, carefully break cement bond between trim assembly and center pillar and remove trim assembly.
- To install trim assembly clean cementing surface on center pillar to insure a smooth cementing surface.
- Apply an approved trim cement to back of trim assembly. Position foundation portion of trim assembly along crown of center pillar to floor pan brace and cement trim assembly in place.
Install previously removed hardware items.